May 7, 2010

Colors of the Wind

I so love this song from Disney's Pocahontas. It's got a lot of good tree-hugger truths that I love. A lot of being one with Mother Nature. Respecting her creation. How we're all connected.

It's yummy. And if you don't remember the words. I saved you a trip to Google. =)

You think you own whatever land you land on
The Earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name

You think the only people who are people
Are the people who look and think like you
But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger
You'll learn things you never knew you never knew

Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon
Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned?
Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?

Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest
Come taste the sunsweet berries of the Earth
Come roll in all the riches all around you
And for once, never wonder what they're worth

The rainstorm and the river are my brothers
The heron and the otter are my friends
And we are all connected to each other
In a circle, in a hoop that never ends.

How high will the sycamore grow?
If you cut it down, then you'll never know
And you'll never hear the wolf cry to the blue corn moon

For whether we are white or copper skinned
We need to sing with all the voices of the mountains
We need to paint with all the colors of the wind

You can own the Earth and still
All you'll own is Earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind.

I get chills hearing this song. I may have inherited it from my mother. It's her tingly sense for the revelation of some great truth. I get chills, and my Tigress smiles.

Some food for thought. Chew on it. Taste it. Airy-ate your mouth so you get the full sensation of the flavor. And then LOVE it. =)

1 comment:

Angie Cox said...

Beautiful song. Beautiful words.