November 3, 2009

The Photo-Board

I finally finished my tiger-print photo board. It looks pretty awesome, and contributes to absorbing the echo that my room still has. I've got the two tiger cards Mom picked up for me at the airport on there, along with a few volleyball photos, band and theatre.

It's amazing how an image can take you back. The memories flood in, the intensity, the heat of the gym without air conditioning, everyone you never thought would stand behind you coming out to cheer you on to victory. Knowing you're out giving it your all. It's your last stand. The last message you can give to your rival, their town, and your supporters to let you know what you were about.

The memory is so vivid. Every spike, block, dig and serve. The effort and coming together as a team in one moment of glory. And knowing I led the team to a victory. When I knew where I was going.

---

Volleyball had been my support my junior and senior year. It was a constant throughout my highschool career, something I always had. It was more reliable than any boy, and almost all of my friends during that time. (People change. =/)

But.

It was the time I was on the court that I was the happiest. I loved being able to work so hard for something, and see the results on the scoreboard. It was amazing. I had a team who had my back, and with them nothing could bring me down.

---

I miss it. I miss having a common goal with 5 other girls on the court. I miss feeling amazing after a good spike or block or an ace on the serve. I feel like a lot of people had high expectations of me going to play somewhere, and that to an extent I let them down. Or that i chickened out, or something. I don't know.

There's no doubt in my mind that I'm supposed to be where I'm at right now doing what I'm doing. I'm just hoping there's still a spot for me on a volleyball court once I'm through with Lubbock.

---

I still love the photo of Golden Spread where I'm spiking. It's an awesome shot. And I've got one from club ball my freshman year, and then one where I'm blocking Savanna Keys, and it's great. =) Still need to get some new photos developed. Life is going by fast.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Nice reflection. Good words of inspiration for your former teammates who are headed into the playoffs this weekend.